"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." -Martin Luther

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death

Patrick Henry's Famous Speech

Everybody should read this.
It includes:
Respect for those in disagreement.
Straightforward and impassioned opinion.
His responsibility is to God first! Then country.
It's almost prophetic, too: we were severely outnumbered and under-equipped. And God did indeed raise up allies, in the form of the French.
Even without looking at its context I consider it an excellent speech

4 comments:

  1. Very worthwhile reading, true. Makes my own efforts at Konos not only pale in comparison, but actually pass out and be rushed to intensive care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Efforts at Konos? Oh...the analogy takes shape before me! The Thaxton's are coming, the Thaxton's are coming!
    Ring out! Ring out wild bells of liberty...wait a second?!?
    I love you, dear Thaxtons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're at college, dear brother; use correct grammar! Mother wishes me to point out to you that "Thaxton's" is incorrect. It should not be possesive! When I possess the required time I shall read the speech and give my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that you're the only one who makes these mistakes: I just spelled 'possessive' as 'possesive'!

    ReplyDelete

A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouths of fools pour out folly.