"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." -Martin Luther

Monday, September 25, 2006

Speaking of Virtual

I suppose we were only "speaking" in a virtual sense.
Anyway.
After reading Ben's blog and comments on all the virtual things going on, I wish to relate something that will make all the virtual-lover's dreams come true.
secondlife.com
Note the amount of U.S. currency spent in the last 24 hours.
My computer programming professor told us this morning of an article which described virtual fashion designers who are now able to support themselves by converting their virtual earnings back into U.S. currency.
Comments and speculations, please.
Well, back to the real world.

8 comments:

  1. Is this desire for the virtual world just a technologically advanced desire for what we don't have? We find meaning in acting out what we don't have, which them becomes meaningless, as we come to realize that...we...don't...have it. And that sad sense of despondency that comes with this makes us withdraw more and more from the reality that exists, and dive more and more fully into the fantasy that we wish existed.
    Ultimately it means we live in two worlds, one real and the other regrettably unreal, and we wish that we could change the realities around, so that the world *we* fashioned would be reality, and so *we* would be as gods...
    But no man can live in two worlds forever, and eventually, no matter how hard we kick against the pricks of reality, we are drawn back into the real world, and this is where we do our damage, and wreck our homes, and neglect our families, and waste our lives, and finally...ultimately decide that reality is not worth living in, and the false world is far better, and so disenchanted with what is real, and glorying in what is not, we die...a grasping creature, never content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there is just not anything else to say after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh Ben! I thought it was just a game...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know. But as a kid you play with legos, and you outgrow them. When I outgrew them, I stopped playing with them because I had such a sense of meaninglessness when I played with them, or built with them, and it would literally depress me. The same thing happens with video games.
    But this can be good, because sometimes it helps you to put away childish things. When it's reversed, and life itself is depressing, and your games are what you go to in order to have some meaning...
    That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can ask Abi, when I get home from work first thing I do is pull out the Legos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your new profile, Joben. Particularly the part that says "When I was very young, I was born in Alabama". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow people spent $409,060. they have no life...

    ReplyDelete

A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouths of fools pour out folly.