"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." -Martin Luther

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cooking with Master Dobbs

Good afternoon, dear readers! My, what a lovely day it is -- not just because it's beautiful outside, but because I am not at work! It's my first weekday off in quite a while, and I'm enjoying it profusely. I already got Michael and Patrick through their morning in the Sanctuary, finished reading Off Armageddon Reef, and, most importantly, cooked lunch. I wish to share what I cooked with you today. But first, a little history.
I cook lunch a lot at my house, (at least at times when I'm home for the meal!). I was planning to cook some chip dip for me and my younger sister to eat, but found that we were having chili for supper, so I decided to hold off and go for something a little more...exotic.
Here's a cooking note for you chili-cheese dip lovers: Try adding a can of cream of mushroom soup to your chili-and-cheese dip; it makes it taste ever-so-much-more cheesy!
Now, back to my brief history of cooking. I wanted to make a good cold salad with a white dressing, mainly because I remembered eating a great macaroni salad of similar description the other evening. However, my younger sister and fellow future partaker of lunch asked for something hot. I decided to stay my course, and make a hot cold salad.
For my base, I spun the lazy susan and selected two eager volunteers: a can of kidney beans and a can of black beans. While I could retitle this blog "ode to beans" and wax poetic, I think I shall leave that for another day.
The following is a brief, easy-to-use set of instructions to make your own hot cold bean salad!


"Holy Cow"

Saute about 2tblspns of chopped onion in a saucepan. [Note: "saucepan" is really just a longer and more distinguished sounding word for "pot"]. Saute them in whatever you feel like. Butter might work well. All I added was a little water to keep them from burning. Proceed to add about 3-seconds-squirt of cheesy ranch dressing, one large spoonful of mayonnaise, one large dollop of sour cream dip, and one swish-out-of-a-sugar-tin of white sugar. Simmer for a few seconds so everyone can socialize. Drain the beans some, but not all of the way (the bean juice will help with the sauce!) Pour them into the saucepan *wink*wink* and turn up your stove so that you won't have to wait forever to eat. Then comes the fun part. Open your spice cabinet and scan it quickly, like your driving instructor tells you to scan the road for insane drivers and deer that you cannot possibly avoid but should try to anyway. Add things such as:
-garlic powder
-chili powder
-season-all salt
-mustard powder
Then add the following essential ingredients:
-fake or real bacon bits (lots and lots)
-curry powder (4.7 dashes)
Stir all these in, simmer them for a while, and eat them!
Try it on chips.

1 comment:

  1. Pray tell me, whatever does the name of this extraordinary dish have to do with the extraordinary dish itself??? Sure, I suppose such an exclamation of surprise is fitting such a -er- fascinating meal, but... how did you think of it?
    Speaking here is the very younger sister mentioned in this blog post on which I comment, and I can assure you that this dish is best on chips, is pretty good, but (personal opinion) the sauce is somewhat overwhelmingly mayonnaisy and ranch dressingy. Still good on chips though. Not awful without chips either.
    Taste is on the tongue of the consumer, of course, so you'll just have to try this magnificently imaginative culinary achievement :)

    ReplyDelete

A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouths of fools pour out folly.