"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." -Martin Luther

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Death by Diacetyl: Fumes of Fury

My mother made me aware of the following article:

Webmd link

The entire article is worth reading, but here's a brief recap, all quotes taken from the article:

"Rose's patient had never been exposed to food-flavoring fumes."
His only exposure was to the two or more bags of microwave popcorn he consumed every day.

"Rose took a team to the man's house and tested the air while microwaving some popcorn. Air levels of diacetyl were similar to those in the area of a microwave popcorn factory where workers were affected."
According to news reports, Rose's patient liked to inhale the aroma of newly popped microwave popcorn.

In March 2005, the EPA told WebMD that a study of microwave popcorn emissions would be completed in 2005.

And of course, while I find this all quite humorous, I suppose it ought to be taken seriously. Lung disease is not funny. Thankfully, at the end of the article, the reader will find that a number of name brands are going to stop using diacetyl in their microwave popcorn.
We will all be able to inhale that lovely smell once more, without any fear.
But please, don't burn the popcorn.

4 comments:

  1. "Fumes of Fury"? Do I sense a bit of Kung-Fu influence?
    Yes, certainly, don't burn the popcorn. It sets off fire alarms and generally inconveniences everyone in the dorm (except those who think fire drills are fun and useful for blog entries...).
    Hmm. Well. I think I've sworn off microwave popcorn for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. It seems like everything is bad for you these days. It's a miracle anyone's still alive! And Elizabeth, I don't think I know anyone who would call fire drills "fun"... or do I?
    Well, if popcorn is deadly then I have a whole box of death sitting next to your bed. And I definitely haven't sworn it off; I'll just hold my breath while I pop it. I might pop a bag of death tonight, in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Microwave until there are two to three seconds between pop,
    or
    until you turn blue."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't catch Popcorn cancer.

    ReplyDelete

A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouths of fools pour out folly.