The entire article is worth reading, but here's a brief recap, all quotes taken from the article:
"Rose's patient had never been exposed to food-flavoring fumes."
His only exposure was to the two or more bags of microwave popcorn he consumed every day.
"Rose took a team to the man's house and tested the air while microwaving some popcorn. Air levels of diacetyl were similar to those in the area of a microwave popcorn factory where workers were affected."
According to news reports, Rose's patient liked to inhale the aroma of newly popped microwave popcorn.
In March 2005, the EPA told WebMD that a study of microwave popcorn emissions would be completed in 2005.
And of course, while I find this all quite humorous, I suppose it ought to be taken seriously. Lung disease is not funny. Thankfully, at the end of the article, the reader will find that a number of name brands are going to stop using diacetyl in their microwave popcorn.
We will all be able to inhale that lovely smell once more, without any fear.
But please, don't burn the popcorn.