"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." -Martin Luther

Thursday, August 31, 2006

When You Hear the Buzzer Sounding

There is a sign on the wall in the gym at Covenant, which depicts a floorplan and emergency exits. Above this sign is ensribed the phrase "When you hear the buzzer." This has caused me to wonder, shouldn't they have said "if you hear the buzzer?" I still haven't heard it. But, in the meantime, since it is such a lovely phrase, and I must walk past it so many times, it has come to have a musical quality in my mind. Today I found that you can fit it to the tune "She'll be Coming 'Round the Mountain."
When you hear the buzzer soundin'
When you hear the buzzer soundin'
When you hear the buzzer soundin'
it's time to run...

6 comments:

  1. ...Oh my...
    ...Ahem, well, I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humor! I still miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, now that random piece of musical nonsense is going to be stuck in my head all day, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kind of like "when the roll is called up yonder."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think it should be to the tune of "Do You Hear the People Sing" from Les Mis

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you hear the buzzer sound
    Sounding the song of the fire alarm
    It is the music of a building that is coming to some harm
    When the ringing of your heart
    Echoes the ringing of the gong
    There is a fire that just did start
    And its time to run!

    ReplyDelete

A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouths of fools pour out folly.